Mission and Purpose
The Junior League of Athens is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
The prospective member must meet the following criteria for membership eligibility:
- Age – She must be at least 23 at the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1)
- Residency – She must reside or work in the Athens area
- Voluntarism – She must have an interest in voluntarism, commitment to community service, and an interest in developing her potential as a trained volunteer and leader
2022-23 Requirements of an Active JLA Member
As an Active member, the focus will be volunteer activity, through your committee placement. Member responsibilities include:
- Complete one committee placement per year, typically meets once per month
- Attend a minimum of six monthly General Membership Meetings – September through May – These meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month at 6:30 pm
- Participate in four fundraising projects through shifts, donations, ticket purchases ($150) – September through May
- Complete two hands-on community service activities
- Pay annual dues (currently $125)*, due by March 1st for the following year
2022-23 Requirements of a Provisional JLA Member
Each year, the Junior League of Athens trains a class of first-year members (Provisionals) to encourage active participation and engagement among our newest members, to facilitate the training of strong volunteers and future leaders through hands on programs such as distributing books and reading to community children, and to create meaningful connections with the Junior League of Athens, the Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI) and the Athens community.
For more information about joining the Junior League of Athens, please email [email protected].
Membership is both a privilege and a responsibility. The future of the League depends upon its members to carry out the mission. The prospective member should be aware of the time and financial commitment that is required during the Provisional year as she contemplates joining. Please consider the eligibility criteria listed above as well as these Provisional membership requirements.
- Complete one Provisional class community service project
- Attend a minimum of six monthly General Membership meetings – September through May – These meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month at 6:30 pm
- Attend a minimum of six monthly Provisional Membership meetings – August through May (attending the Provisional Retreat in August is required)
- Participate in three fundraising projects through shifts, donations, merchandise quota ($150), ticket purchases ($60) – September through May
- Complete one hands-on community service activity
- Pay annual dues (currently $125) and provisional course fee (currently $75)*
*Contact JLA Treasurers to arrange for monthly payments at [email protected].
If there is additional information needed not provided on these pages, please contact JLA at [email protected].